Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book Study - Salt

On NGS group, we're doing a study of Darlene Olivia McElroy & Sandra Duran Wilson's book "Surface Treatment workshop" This week we're looking at the section "Salt".  I've down salt resist before with dye inks on glossy card stock to good effect. In the book, the authors discuss using acrylic or watercolor paints on canvas, panel or watercolor paper. I did not have much success with this.
Painted watercolor paper with watered down acrylic paint and will it was still wet, sprinkled coarse salt over the surface and waited for paint to dry.
 When paint dries, brush off salt with a paper towel. I don't see the resist.
 The authors also suggest layering this technique. So I painted over my background with watered down orange acrylic paint, and sprinkle with coarse salt and let dry.

I see some of the resist effect.
One more layer, painted over with watered down red acrylic paint and poured on lots of coarse salt and let it dry.
The authors warn not to wait more than 1 - 2 hours before brushing off the salt or it may adhere permanently. I only let it dry for 1/2 hour and found the salt difficult to remove.
 A variation is to paint your surface with a dark color, let dry then do the salt resist with a lighter or interference color. I painted watercolor paper with black acrylic paint and let dry. Then painted over with watered down yellow acrylic paint and sprinkled with coarse salt and let dry.
I like how this looks.
 Another variation is to start with a dark layer of paint, then do the salt resist technique with metallic paint I used a green acrylic paint, and let it dry.

 Then coated with a watered down Lumiere metallic bronze paint, sprinkle with coarse salt and let it dry.

 Some resist, but not as much as I thought. Think I should have watered down the Lumiere paint some more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could only find coarse rock sea salt and it did not work very well.
It is not easy to guess how long as I was watching for it to do something and then it stuck. I will try again another day. Thanks for sharing.
Carol