Friday, October 31, 2008
Saturday, October 18, 2008
The first book we made was the Hard Spine Circle Accordion Book. I've added some of the charms I received here at the retreat. I will add color to the word ART! later.
The second book was the ATC Blizzard Book. This is great to hold ATCs. She gave us instructions to make this any size we want.
The third book was the Flutter with Pockets.
The fourth book was the Carousel House Book. We had time to do some decorating with papers and images Jill provided. I decided to make a beach house. View showing the front and back pages:
Second open pages:
Third (and last) open pages:
I just need a couple of finishing touches on this book. Here Jill is encouraging my work in the Carousel House Book.
The last book we did was the Flip Story Book. It is like a waterfall card in design. She also taught us how to make a slip cover that is just folded, no adhesives required. I need to think up something special for this story book.
When I finish my books, I will post again.
Friday, October 17, 2008
First, we painted four different colors onto watercolor paper (I used Ranger Daubers that Bernie brought along). When the paint was dry, we stamped on top with embossing ink and covered with clear embossing powder and heat set.
Next, paint over the paper with heavy body acrylic paint, I used a deep purple.
Allow paint to dry, the lay down a sheet of white copy paper and run over it with a hot iron. The trick is to not leave the iron down for too long and to quickly peel up the copy paper. This removes the acrylic paint over the embossed images and also the embossing powder.
I used four different colors of daubers, then stamped & embossed with clear powder (as described above) and painted over with blue acrylic paint.
I painted over the embossed page with both the yellow and gold acrylic paints.
Then Bernie showed us how to use the peeled off copy papers. We sprayed Radiant Mist sprays onto the craft sheet and smooshed the papers down to pick up that color.
Then we painted on Twinkling H20s on top. These will make great backgrounds.
Here are some more of the peeled off papers I did tonight.
I have lots more of the peeled off papers to play with when I get home.
I choose two of the faux leather tissue papers I had made and ran each of them through a different Cuttlebug embossing folder and then ran some Lumiere paint over the surface with my finger.
I cut out two butterflies with my Cuttlebug using paper that had been on the bottom of my spray box. I used the matching embossing folders to make two different designs and colored them with a black Archival ink pad. Then I glued them back to back.
I cut the two backgrounds on the diagonal and glued them to the back of the page. I glued the butterfly just along the body and antennae to the paper. Stamped out words on the same yellow/gold paper as the butterfly and attached them to the page.
Happy Birthday Maggi!!!!
For the back, I was having fun with Tim Holt'z March Technique Challenge. I stamped an image with gesso on to a manila folder cut to 4" x 4".
Made 3 different sprays with Adirondak inks & perfect pearls to spray over the image.
I wanted to lighten the color around the face, so I sprayed that area with water and let it dry.
To give the image a dimensional look, I stamped the same image with black Archival ink and slightly offset it. I also stamped a flourish and a saying. Added a small heart shaped mirror, that I ran a gold leafing pen along the edges. Finished by coloring the edges with black ink.
Happy Birthday Chrissie!!!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
The first step is to stamp an image with a clear resist ink on glossy or coated card stock. If you don't have a clear resist ink pad, try the Vaseline technique. I think it would work and Manna has a video tutorial on her blog. With VersaMark or other clear resist ink, you need to heat set with your heat tool before adding ink.
Using dye ink, start with your lightest ink color and sponge on.
Then sponge on your next darker in ink color.
Then sponge on your darkest color. Play around to decide where you want the color to be lighter and darker. Sponge on enough ink so your "resist" images show through. I like to use the same color, here pink, in different intensities, but you can use complementary or other colors. Overstamp the image in a dark dye ink. I like using the same color as the darkest ink I already sponged on. Nancy recommends playing around with different placements in overstamping.
I mounted my background onto gray card stock, added a black ribbon and a large flower with a large black brad in the center. The middle flower was white, I added color by running a black marker over the ridges.
I like cards with thick embellishments. But I need some flat cards for mailing. I like this resist technique of Nancy's, because it gives an appearance of depth even though it is flat.
I overstamped the confetti with the darkest of the yellow ink. Then stamped an image with permanent black ink and mounted on black card stock. Punched out some stars out of the extra background and along the bottom edge of the piece I used.
I used the same yellows for the next card.
Here is a saying I like to use with lots of candles.
The next card was done with green inks. Overstamped the leaves with the darkest of the green inks. Edged the background with black permanent ink along with adding a saying. Mounted on white card stock.
The last card is a different variation. The overstamping is done with different stamps, not using the same stamps that were used with the VersaFine ink.
This technique would make great backgrounds to be used in ATCs and other projects, not just for card making.