Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book Study and B is for Beeswax Collage

On NGS group were doing a Book Study of Julia Andrus' book "Paper Transformed". This week we're looking at the section on Beeswax Collage.
She recommends having all your components ready as the wax hardens very quickly. I found a colorful napkin to be the background and added some stamped branches with brown StazOn ink. Julia also recommends using a paint brush that will only be used for beeswax.
Not sure if I'm slow or if it's the beeswax I used, but I found the wax hardening much faster than I could work with my components. Solution: place piece on foil in a craft use only electric fry pan. This kept the beeswax melted and allowed me plenty of time to add and move the different pieces.
Julia also mentioned the dry mica powders and Perfect Pearls could be added to the hot wax, so I added two different ones I had in my supplies. Also inked a stamp with silver Color Box ink and stamped it into one corner while the wax was still hot. Removed the stamp once the wax had hardened.
Here's my first beeswax collage:

4 comments:

Rosie said...

Carol, it's beautiful. Beeswax work for me, is always challenging and you really need to be in the right frame of mind for it. I use rolled beeswax candles... they are thinner, melt quickly, smell divine and break off into sizeable chunks. I either melt them direct onto the base with an iron (only for crafting) or I use a heatgun. I also use good old candlewax if I'm not bothered about perpetuity!!

chrissy said...

I can't believe this is your first attempt!!! It looks great!
Chrissy

Unknown said...

Absolutely fabulous, if this is your 1st attempt you are going to be a whizz at this!!1

Anonymous said...

oh, Carol, this was collage is
wonderful. Thank you SO MUCH
for your efforts in this book study, and all the time you put
in to share with others.
gratefully, linn