Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fabric/tyvek paper instructions

This is a technique by Beryl Taylor. Adrienne is running a swap using fabric paper we make on ccswaps. (Her directions are printed in green below). I decided to try to use this technique for the Angel Skinny Book swap I'm in, before making something for the ccswap.

Fabric/tyvek paper instructions:You need:some fine cotton lawn type fabric, or open weave muslin, or tyvek some printed tissue papers, gift wrap, or even waterproof stamped images on thin papers, cut into pieces some PVA glue - the cheaper the better some plain white tissue paper acrylic paints, dyes or other colourings1. Paint the fabric with cheap PVA glue - diluted to single/pouring cream consistency, lay the tissue papers/gift wrap/images on top with spaces in between. I'm using tyvek sheets that Adrienne so generously sent to me. The angel tissue paper was included in wrapping with the gorgeous angel skinny sent to me by Margaret. One set will be for the outside covers and the other for the inside covers. Not too worried about the tissue going over the edge, will trim it when it has dried.

2. Apply another coat of diluted PVA glue over the top. Lay tissue paper on top, press down all over to ensure good adhesion. I used gold tissue paper on the left and white on the right. The white tissue paper started to tear at this step.

3. Carefully paint a thin layer of PVA over the top, and while this is still wet, use 2 or 3 colours of diluted acrylic paints, dyes or other things to colour the surface. Allow to dry - this can take an afternoon on the lawn, or overnight, or you can use a hairdryer at a push (don't bother trying with a heat gun, not much good for this). I used acrylic glazing liquid to dilute my metallic acrylic paints. Continued to have tissue tearing. Is it the tissue or am I using to much diluted pva glue??? Will need to go ask questions before making a different set for the swap.Now I need to wait for these to dry before turning them into covers.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Fabulous work Carol! I love how we always produce such very different results with the same basic recipe. I have cheapo PVA glue (for schoolkids?) and I used very .little water with it because it's pretty runny... I applied with a 1" paintbrush (from the hardware store) and had no tearing at all... HTH!

Rosie said...

Forgot to say, I used what we call muslin here! I haven't bought any Tyvek yet (although I did find it very cheap on Ebay!)