Sunday, June 1, 2008

Tag You're It - Mermaid box

There is a new "it" for the Art-Venturers "Tag You're It" swap. One person in the swap is picked each month, she becomes "it" and chooses a theme. Then everyone in the group makes a small item incorporating that theme and sends the item to "it" by the end of the month. This month, Autumn is "it", she choose the theme "mermaid". As I finished up organizing my craft area and supplies I found this make a box kit. Just the thing for a mermaid: a box for cherished treasures, little beauties or embellishments.

I wanted to try to run the box through the Cuttlebug. First, I inked up the box with broken china Distress ink then ran it through the Cuttlebug in a swirl embossing folder. It was too thick for the usual "sandwich". I did A plate, fun foam, box in embossing folder, C plate. It embossed the box, but not as deeply as I see with card stock. Then I ran a darker Distress ink over the raised area, turned the box around, ran it through the Cuttlebug again, and inked the raised areas with the same Distress ink.

To add some shimmer, a ran both a light and dark blue Brilliance ink over the box.
The box needed something. After seeing what Debbie did on her blog with foils on embossed items, I decided to add gold leafing to the outside of the box and outer edges.
Here is the finished top of the box, after adding embellishments:
The inner surface has the reversed embossed design on it.I colored this large fish image with spots of broken china Distress ink and colored over it with yellow Twinkling H2Os.Here is the finished inside of the box.
It is fun to find unused supplies and turn them into gifts.

No comments: