Saturday, May 3, 2008

Brayered Gesso Resist Backgrounds

This is the ninth background in Trish's Background Noise Challenges. I missed a few techniques while I was gone. I'll try to catch up on them later, but I couldn't wait to try this technique. Go to Trish's blog to learn about the other challenges/techniques.

I didn't have any glossy black card stock, but found some black card stock that seemed a little slick. I cut it into four 6"x6" squares. For the first one, I sponged some gesso onto a flourish stamp and stamped it on the black cs. (Make sure to wash gesso off stamps right away.)
After it dried, I brayered rainbow dye ink over the surface and let it dry.
For the second one, I used a homemade stencil to sponge on the gesso. After it dried, I also brayered dye ink over the surface.
For the third one, I used a Dreamweaver to stencil to sponge on the gesso (again, clean the gesso over your stencil right away). After the gesso dried, I randomly sprayed on dye based color washes and wiped off the excess dye.
For the fourth one, I used a sponge to randomly apply gesso to the card stock. After it dried, I brayered dye ink over the surface, then lightly misted with water and rebrayered to get a smooth transition of colors.
This was a fun technique. I'm looking for projects to use this backgrounds in.

7 comments:

* Shell B.* said...

thanks for the information on this Carol, I had to run down to my craftroom just to try it!

Shell in Alaska

artymarty said...

Well done Carol. I especially like the fern one. The flourish stamp looks good with Gesso as well.
MArtina

Fiona said...

Wow CArol, these are great. Thanks for showing us the experiments.
Fiona

Trish Bee said...

Wow! I love ALL of your backgrounds! They are fanbloomingtastic! Gorgeous colours and they are all so different too!

chrissy said...

These look GREAT Carol. I love how you take Trish's idea and twist it just a little. I never seem to think of that.
Chrissy

Unknown said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!

Autumn Labbe-Renault said...

My word, these are beautiful backgrounds!!