Friday, October 17, 2008

Raven's Nest Art Retreat - Bernie Berlin's Class

The second class I took today was Bernie Berlin's Resist This class. Bernie is a terrific teacher, very inspiring and helpful. This technique makes great backgrounds and can be found in Bernie's fabulous book "Artist Trading Card Workshop".
First, we painted four different colors onto watercolor paper (I used Ranger Daubers that Bernie brought along). When the paint was dry, we stamped on top with embossing ink and covered with clear embossing powder and heat set.
Next, paint over the paper with heavy body acrylic paint, I used a deep purple.
Allow paint to dry, the lay down a sheet of white copy paper and run over it with a hot iron. The trick is to not leave the iron down for too long and to quickly peel up the copy paper. This removes the acrylic paint over the embossed images and also the embossing powder.
Love how it looks. This will be great to cut up for backgrounds.
I used four different colors of daubers, then stamped & embossed with clear powder (as described above) and painted over with blue acrylic paint.
Here is what it looks like after ironing. I see I missed a spot of embossing, but it will be cut up into backgrounds. I may end up stamping over that area.
This sheet was covered with purple acrylic paint then stamped and embossed.
I painted over the embossed page with both the yellow and gold acrylic paints.
What it looks like after ironing. Some of the copy paper stuck, but I'll be able to peel it off later. A great technique with lots of varying possibilities.
Then Bernie showed us how to use the peeled off copy papers. We sprayed Radiant Mist sprays onto the craft sheet and smooshed the papers down to pick up that color.
Then we painted on Twinkling H20s on top. These will make great backgrounds.
Here are some more of the peeled off papers I did tonight.
I have lots more of the peeled off papers to play with when I get home.

2 comments:

carole brungar said...

Wow, first time visiting your blog! many thanks for sharing all those wonderful things you learned at retreat! I will add you to my blog so I can pop in and visit often!!
Carole ;D

Melanie said...

This is really cool - I love that there is no wastage - thanks for sharing.