Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Overstamped Resist Technique

On NGS we are going to do a book study together. Our group choose Nancy Curry's book "Texture Effects for Rubber Stamping". I have this beautiful book and have used some of the fabulous techniques in this book. I need to make Birthday cards and decided to do variations of the first technique based on her "Dragonfly Song" card.
The first step is to stamp an image with a clear resist ink on glossy or coated card stock. If you don't have a clear resist ink pad, try the Vaseline technique. I think it would work and Manna has a video tutorial on her blog. With VersaMark or other clear resist ink, you need to heat set with your heat tool before adding ink.
Using dye ink, start with your lightest ink color and sponge on.
Then sponge on your next darker in ink color.
Then sponge on your darkest color. Play around to decide where you want the color to be lighter and darker. Sponge on enough ink so your "resist" images show through. I like to use the same color, here pink, in different intensities, but you can use complementary or other colors. Overstamp the image in a dark dye ink. I like using the same color as the darkest ink I already sponged on. Nancy recommends playing around with different placements in overstamping.
Add a saying with black permanent ink for high contrast.
I mounted my background onto gray card stock, added a black ribbon and a large flower with a large black brad in the center. The middle flower was white, I added color by running a black marker over the ridges.
I like cards with thick embellishments. But I need some flat cards for mailing. I like this resist technique of Nancy's, because it gives an appearance of depth even though it is flat.
The next card, I did with a variety of yellow inks.
I overstamped the confetti with the darkest of the yellow ink. Then stamped an image with permanent black ink and mounted on black card stock. Punched out some stars out of the extra background and along the bottom edge of the piece I used.
I used the same yellows for the next card.
Stamped a row of candles in the darkest of the yellow inks. Stamped "celebrate" in permanent black ink. Mounted on black card stock and added black ribbons.
Here is a saying I like to use with lots of candles.
The next card was done with green inks. Overstamped the leaves with the darkest of the green inks. Edged the background with black permanent ink along with adding a saying. Mounted on white card stock.
The last card is a different variation. The overstamping is done with different stamps, not using the same stamps that were used with the VersaFine ink.
This technique would make great backgrounds to be used in ATCs and other projects, not just for card making.

4 comments:

Manna said...

Carol, these cards are simply gorgeous! Love the fisherman one although I don't like fishing or know of anyone who does! I like the leaf one also, the colours are very pretty! TFS your creativity this morning :)

Anonymous said...

Carol I have really enjoyed your blog and your art. I have given you an award. To get all the details go to my blog and see what you have received

bonnie32002 said...

these are great. my favorites are the very last one (men cards are always so hard to come up with) and the confetti card in yellows.

I will certainly go back to resisting with my inks lol!

CreativSpirit said...

Hi Carol,
Just revisiting this technique, the cards you've made are lovely. I am about to go and try it out. I especially love the pink card.

Hugs,
Rob