Friday, October 3, 2008

Brushless Watercolor Technique


On ccswaps, I've signed up for a swap in the "style of Tim Holtz". I've been wanting to try his September technique challenge: brushless watercolor, my examples are seen above. See Tim's blog for a great tutorial of this technique. Now to make cards with them.
For the first card, I wanted to make a flower out of watercolor paper as an embellishment, so I stamped a floral outline stamp on watercolor paper with black Archival ink.
I colored a flower with red ink, and used a water brush to give it a watercolor look.

I cut out the flower and split the petals in half. With my finger, I rolled the petals to give them a 3D look.
Back when I was working on the board book project and I made a green acrylic mixture for one of the pages, I spread the extra paint of card stock. Later, I had extra silver paint that I added over the top.
I ran this sheet through a Cuttlebug embossing folder and layered it on white card stock. Added a little glitter to the center of the flower I made and placed it on a dotted ribbon and attached one of the brushless watercolor pieces on top. I colored all the edges of my pieces with black Vesafine ink.
I layered another image onto a piece of the same green card stock and added metal embellishments to the corners. This was layered on black paper and then on brown confetti card stock.
The larger brushless watercolor piece was layered on black card stock and then I added a dragonfly charm.
For the swap, I decided to make a bookmark. I added the last brushless watercolor piece to some tags I colored using Tim Holtz's Wrinkle Free Distressing Technique. I adhered two tags together and edged them with black Versfine ink. On the back, I stamped the same floral image in Distress ink to make a background and stamped a saying with black Versafine ink.
On the front, I also stamped the floral image with the Distress ink along the edges.
I finished the front by adding the brushless watercolor image, a metal dragonfly charm and lots of fibers.
The back of the finished bookmark.

2 comments:

Manna said...

One word for these beauties - Drop Dead GORGEOUS! OK, so 3 words :)

Rosie said...

Works briiliantly Carol! I love your bookmarks - you are so creative and have really mastered this brushless watercolour.
I have featured your fan card on Inspirational - thank you!!