Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas ATC Inspired by Tim's Day 11 Tag

 Wow, the shrink mosaic technique Tim Holtz showed on his blog today for his Day 11 Tag is so stunning I love it!!! Make sure you watch the video
I couldn't find my shrink plastic, I'm out of UTEE, and don't own a melting pot. What is a crafter to do?!? Get creative!!! Disclaimer: what I did isn't close to how terrific the shrink mosaics are, but an adequate substitute in a pinch.
I remember hearing that some plastic packaging will shrink with heat, but not what I had. So I cut out so plastic packaging to size. A tree branch by hand and the small bird with a die. I coated them with embossing ink, covered with Detail clear embossing powder (ep) and heat set. I did the back side with one coat, and the front side with three coats. The back coat melted off when I heated the top coats. If I do this again, I'll sanding the plastic first and see if that works. Be aware that the plastic gives off fumes when heated, open windows or do in good ventilated area.
  When the plastic pieces cooled, colored the backs with alcohol inks (I'm also out of felt pieces to put on an applicator so I poured the alcohol ink directly on the backs and let sit to dry. Some of the ink pooled around to the front side as well.
 Looks pretty good.
 Followed Tim's suggestion and for this card, painted the back sides with white acrylic paint and let dry.
 Colored glossy card stock with variety of blue Distress Inks and a little brown.
Flicked on water with my fingers over the card.
 Heat with heat tool, this gives a great bleach effect.
 Stamped snow flurries with tumbled glass Distress Ink and heat set.
 Painted top edges of branches with white acrylic paint, let dry. Then glued on plastic bits with Glossy Accents. Colored edges of card with walnut stain Distress Ink. Stamped Merry Christmas and snowflake with black Archival Ink. Highlighted areas with Frosted Lace Stickles. Added small yellow rhinestone for bird's eye and white rhinestone to snowflake.
OK, I've ordered a melting pot. I'm finally convinced I want one.