Saturday, January 31, 2009

Book Study - Texture with glue

We're doing a Book Study as a group on NGS, using Nancy Curry's book "Texture Effects for Rubber Stamping". This week we are looking at her card "Parallels". In this card Nancy uses cut strips of backgrounds and a glue gun to add texture.
I started with a burgundy card, a piece of black paper and a mottled gold wall paper sample. I stamped a flourish design in black Versafine ink on each of them.

I stamped on a texture stamp and a swirl stamp with gold Brilliance ink on the wall paper sample and the black paper.
I cut these into 1" wide strips. Choose 3 black and 2 gold strips to use in this card and ran them through a xyron sticker maker.
Working with one strip at a time, I ran a squiggly line of hot glue down the strip. While the glue is hot, used the corner of an old credit card to create varied texture in the glue.
Once each strip had a glue squiggle, colored them with bronze metallic mixaives, using dried mixative and a waterbrush filled with Alcohol Blending solution. Nancy used metallic rub ons to color her glue, but I didn't have any of those.
I finished my card, by gluing these strips down onto the stamped burgundy card.

If I do this again, I think I'd use a regular glue gun, instead of the low temp glue gun. I think the lower temp glue dries too quickly. It doesn't give enough time to play with creating texture in the glue before it cools off.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm loving your posts from the Nancy Curry book - I haven't done any of them yet - how slack am I? I have the book though so guess when I get the inkling I can do it whenever.

chrissy said...

I am going to give this one a try. Either today or later this week. I have a 2 temp heat gun and I'll try the high setting. I like your idea of using some wallpaper; I have some of that around.
I'll post to the group with my examples when I get to them.
Chrissy

Manna said...

What a cool experiment! Thanks fro the tip on the glue gun and the glue :)

Deirdra Doan said...

Great blog...thank for the fun techniques!