Friday, April 30, 2010

Book Study - Sea Sponge Techniques

This week in our study of Julia Andrus' book "Paper Transformed" on NGS group, we're looking at the section Sea Sponge Techniques. This is similar to stippling, but as no two sea sponges are alike, there is more variation in the application of color. You can use the sea sponge to apply paints, or gesso and paints, or inks. Today, I'm playing with Distress inks. Lightly spray the sea sponge with water to soften it. Add color to the paper by applying ink with the sea sponge. I like to start with the lightest color first:
Continued to add more colors using crushed olive, peeled paint and forest moss Distress inks and Encore! gold ink:
For this one, used wild honey, barn door, aged mahogany, brushed corduroy and vintage photo Distress inks and Encore! bronze ink:
Decided to dry making the colors more intense by adding a drop of Distress ink to a craft sheet and lightly spraying with water. Used the sea sponge to apply ink to the paper:
Continued to add more color, by using the re-inkers with stormy sky, bundled sage and shabby shutters Distress ink. Then I made a shimmer paste of Kiwi Perfect Pearls and water to sponge on:
Here's the finished paper:
Another fun technique with endless color combination possibilities!

3 comments:

chrissy said...

I like the sparkle that the pearls added!!!
Chrissy Bornfleth

Maggi said...

Great technique - I really appreciate all the time you have put into this "journey" through the book - it makes me run down to the "grotto" and get out my stuff!!!!!

Rena Sawatski said...

Love the look of these Carol. Of course the last one is favourite since it is green LOL. Will have to check my stash to see if I have a sea sponge, if not will have to substitute another one.