Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Q" is for Quilling, Grunge Style

Time to start on another letter of the alphabet for the Art-Venturer's ABCs of Techniques challenge/program/whatever.
Q is for Quilling, Quilting (metal). If you know of more "Q" techniques, please let me know.
If you do a google search on quilling, you'll find lots of helpful sites. I wanted to used some of my stash of papers. Some are acrylic paints over dictionary pages, some are ones the catch the extra spray in my spray box, and others are scraps left over from a variety of background techniques.
I cut the strips into widths of 1/8" - 1/4" depending on how thick I wanted the piece to be. I used an embossing stylus to wrap around the strips of paper. For the tightly rolled bits, I used the thinner end. For the strips used to make petal shapes, used the wider end to achieve a looser coil.
To make the bases of my grungy flowers, pulled out some backgrounds in my stash. The collection on the left are Textured Gesso backgrounds, the ones on the right are Distressed Scraps backgrounds.
Punched out large and small flower shapes and stamped script over them with brown StazOn ink.
Used black & gold cording to tie on wrap the tight coils to become the floral centers.
Side view to see the dimension. The tighter I pulled on the cording, the more curved up the flower shapes. I'm saving these for future projects.
For the next flower, taped the pointed ends of 5 quilled petals together.
Sprayed the top of the coiled flower and smaller white flower lightly with the Bronze Color Mist Spray. Sprayed a large white flower with Blue Shimmering Mist spray, Bronze Color Mist Spray and walnut ink. While the old, sprayed paper underneath was still wet, ran the tips of the large flower into the wet colors for fun! Let all this dry.
Glued the three flowers together for a fabulous grungy flower.
I know just what to use this flower on.....

No comments: