Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More backgrounds

For these backgrounds, I wanted to combine the gold leaf resist, the acrylic paint resist and the resist technique I learned from Bernie Berlin last fall. On watercolor paper, I stamped flourishes with a mixture of white and silver glitter acrylic paints and let dry.
Used a gold leafing pen to add dots.
Used watered down blue and purple acrylic paints to make a wash over the paper and let dry.
Stamped large butterflies with clear embossing ink, covered with clear embossing powder and heat set.
Then painted over the whole sheet with black acrylic paint and let it dry. Then used a iron and copy paper to heat the embossing powder to remove the acrylic paint from the embossed butterflies. I'm not sure if it was the black acrylic paint I used (golden) or that I let these sit for a couple of hours before doing the ironing/removing step. Some of the sheets I couldn't get the acrylic paint off, maybe I didn't get enough embossing powder on the images. Hmm.... Anyway, here is one of the better backgrounds. I have a plan to use it.

4 comments:

chrissy said...

I would have been tempted to leave it at the point when you did the purple and blue wash... I LOVE those colors!!
Chrissy

Carol said...

That's how I felt AFTER I had trouble getting the black acrylic paint off. Live and learn!

Evelyn S. said...

Would tube watercolors work for the step involving the paint?

Carol said...

Watercolors would work for the original resist over the leafing pens. Not sure how they'd do as the top layer of the embossed images. Something to experiment with!