Friday, February 6, 2009

Envelope Book

I signed up for an Envelope Book Swap on ccswaps. The only requirement was that we had to use at least 8 envelopes. I decided to make a book that could hold ATCs if the recipient wants to use it that way. Here is the front cover:
Inside front cover and first envelope:
Middle of book:
Back of last envelope and inside back cover:
Here are the details of how I made this book. I didn't have any envelopes the right size to hold ATCs, so I decided to make my own (well, there wasn't anything in the directions that said we had to use store bought envelopes LOL). Using printer paper, I made a template, making sure it would hold an ATC and still have room at the edge for binding.
I have some great paper in large sheets with bold designs that come from Thailand, that I've been wanting to use. I love how this paper has almost a fabric feel, and is flexible to work with. I took one of the sheets and cut out eight envelopes, using my template. I used the Score-it to mark the score lines. This helps me to "see" where the folds will be when I'm doing my stamping before gluing the envelope together.
On each envelope, I stamped floral flourishes in orange Distress ink. Stamped the word "Art" on what will be the opening flap using black Versafine ink. I had 4 different large A stamps that I used for variation. I stamped a different art related quote on what will be the back side of the envelope pages with black Versafine ink. After the pages were stamped, I glued 3 of the flaps together to create the envelope pages. I used a brad and metal clip to create a fastener to hold down the opening flap (this can be seen in the second and third pictures above).
For the outside covers of the book, I stamped a floral flourish with orange Distress ink on the same paper. Words were stamped on with black Versafine ink. I colored 3 alphabet beads, spelling A-R-T, with caramel alcohol ink to give them an aged look, and sewed them on with brown thread. These papers were glued onto this cardboard, slightly larger that the size of the envelopes. Later I would glue on white grosgrain ribbon to both of these outside front and back covers to make a tie. Also added an image over the ribbon on the front (the edges of the image were colored with this same orange Distress ink).
For the inside covers, I cut out pieces from an old map. Rubbed on orange Distress ink, spritzed with water and dried with a heat tool.
Then added brown Distress ink with a damp paper towel.
To finish the inside covers, I lightly stamped a floral flourish with orange Distress ink. Stamped on words with black Versafine ink. Cut out and glued on arty travel poster images. These were glued to the inside of the covers. The book was bound using the Zutter Bind-it-All and 1" coils.

Whoever my swapping partner turns out to be, can fill the envelopes as they please, but they are just the right size to hold ATCs.


Vicki Holdwick said...

Wow, Carol!

This is just stunning. What a lovely book. Whoever you are trading with is in for a wonderful surprise.

Rosie said...

You know Carol, when I see how beautifully this turned out, it makes me think that maybe I really would use a BIA... You are so accomplished - I just LOVE your creations. Bravo my friend!

chrissy said...

Great looking book Carol. You sent me a piece of that paper!

Trizzy said...

Oh thank you Carol! I just love it!! Its such a yummy paper to touch - I can't believe I got another piece of your wonderful ART!! Thanks again!!