Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Faux Bleach Tag Booklet

I signed up for a Tags swap on ccswaps. The only rule is to use two or more tags. Still enjoying my Zutter bind-it-all, I decided to make a tag booklet. Then I saw Tim Holtz's blog post on the Faux Bleach technique, and had to give it a try. For great step-by-step instructions go to Tim's blog.
At first, I thought I could do both sides of the tag with this technique, but the tag absorbed so much of the embossing powder that it came through on the other side. I also decided one thickness of the tag was too flimsy for my liking. So I used my first attempts for the inside covers (they were too attractive to toss out) and ran them through the Xyron to make them stick to the new outside covers. Here's what I did:

Stamped images on tags with embossing ink, sprinkled on clear embossing powder and heat set. (If you look closely, you can see part of the images on the other side showing through)
Sprayed on adirondack color washes (butterscotch, stream & wild plum).
Sprayed on Gold Radiant rain. Went back to read the directions and saw, I was supposed to iron off the embossing powder while the tag was still wet from the color washes. So I spritzed them with water and them ironed off the embossing powder. I think with this method, the dye ink crept under and colored some of the areas. Oh well, I like how they look, but a bit dark for the covers I had envisioned. So here's where I decided to used these as the inside covers.
For the outside covers, I again stamped images with embossing ink, sprinkled with clear embossing powder and heat set. This time, I diluted the same colors of adirondack color washes in the mini misters and sprayed them on. Following the instructions, I ironed off the embossing powder as Tim instructs on his blog, while the tags were still wet.Then I sprayed on the gold Radiant Rain.
I used black Archival ink to stamp on more images. After I adhered the outer cover and inner cover tags together, I used a gold leafing pen to the edges. I lightly stamped some card stock to make pages for the booklet and bound it together. I used multicolored fibers to tie the tags together.
Finished front:
Inside front:
Inside back:
Close up of inside covers:

Back cover:





5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is fabulous Carol, love the colors and the end result is amazing...something else to play with xxx
THANK YOU for agreeing to make card for China's Sweet 16 xxxx

SweetPea said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!
Way to go Carol - I LOVE THESE!

justthesmallstuff said...

Fabulous Tag Book! Love the colors.

Maggi said...

Beautiful!!! I don't think you ever sleep!

Rosie said...

Awesome tag book Carol... I just love looking at all you've made! Fantastic!