Friday, January 2, 2009

Quote of the Month Swap

This is for the Quote of the Month Swap on ccswaps. I've been wanting to try painting with Alcohol inks that Tim Holtz showed with one of his 12 tags of Christmas in December. First create an alcohol ink palette by squirting alcohol ink into a well (one color per well). I labeled the wells, so I'd remember which color was where. Then let the alcohol inks completely air dry. Tim says this technique only works with dry alcohol ink. Then I filled a water brush with Alcohol Blending Solution (Tim says once a water brush is used for Alcohol Blending solution in cannot be used with any other liquid, even water). I marked by water brush, so I won't inadvertently use if with anything else.
I used one of the twisted alcohol backgrounds I made earlier in the week. I stamped an image with two different green Brilliance inks and heat set.
I found I could get a similar look to the splattered metallic alcohol ink, by using a textured stamp and gold Brilliance ink.
I stamped a butterfly image onto a transparency sheet with black Stazon ink (need to use permanent ink on transparency sheet), let air dry.
Because permanent ink removes alcohol ink, to color the image on the transparency with alcohol ink, color on the back side of the image. To reactivate the alcohol ink, use the alcohol blending solution filled water brush.
To clean the brush between colors, just rub the brush over a craft sheet.
After the alcohol ink dried, I flipped the transparency sheet over to the right side.
I had the quote of the month on a blue vellum sheet (thanks to Annie) and adhered it to the twisted alcohol background. The stamped transparency was laid on top. I glued a piece of gold metal paper to a green card and placed the layered transparency sheet on top. I colored a metal butterfly charm with alcohol ink, glued it on and added two small dragonfly charms.

The great thing about the alcohol paint palette is it can stay dry indefinitely, to be used later.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I love this, and the quote is great too. wonderful technique.