Saturday, March 27, 2010

C is for Collaged Coaster Cube....

I've signed up for the "C" is for... swap on ccswaps. Lot's of ideas collected in my thoughts. I ran 5 plain coasters through a Cuttlebug embossing folder. Since these coasters were too thick to be a "regular" sandwich through the Cuttlebug, I placed the coaster inside the embossing folder and between the A plate and the C plate then ran it through the machine without any trouble. On one side of the coasters I colored them by running a dark colored Distress ink pad over the surface. Then before the ink was dry, I painted on a layer of Matte Acrylic Medium to blend the color better (sorry forgot to take a picture of that step) and let it dry.
On the other side of four of the coasters I started collaging papers. Stamped a light Distress ink on the colored papers, music scale on the yellow paper and flourishes on the blue paper. Dictionary pages were previously colored with brown ink and some gold perfect pearls. Stamped over all papers with brown StazOn in with a "crackle" like texture stamp and used the brown Stazon ink to color the edges. Then coated the coasters with Matte Acrylic Medium and let dry.
Decided to add more brown StazOn ink to the edges. On two coasters added butterfly images with Matte Acrylic Medium. On the other two coasters glued on some of the Corrosive Elements I made earlier today along with paper with quotes on them.
To complete the Cubed Container, I punched holes with the Zutter Bind-it-All and tied the coasters together with brown fibers. Tied on Copper Etched Charms I made last fall to each of the upper 4 Corners of this Cube.
This was fun, hope the recipient enjoys it as much as I did making it.

3 comments:

chrissy said...

This looks fantastic!!! How did you come up with the idea???
Chrissy

Carol said...

I saw something similar made with scrapbook papers on coasters. It was beautiful, but I can't remember where though. When your "C" swap came up, the idea popped back in my brain and I figured I could do a grungier version : )

Gaby Bee said...

I really love your creativity, Carol.
All your projects are simply gorgeous. This piece is truly terrific!