Saturday, April 25, 2009

Book Study - Distress with chalk ink and masking tape

We're doing a Book Study as a group on NGS, using Nancy Curry's book "Texture Effects for Rubber Stamping". This week we are looking at her projects "Botanica Palette" & " Tuscan Column". She uses chalk inks and masking tape to create a distress background. Nancy used a palette stamp as a surface to work on and soften the chalk inks. Her palette stamp and a fabulous border. I didn't have a palette stamp, but did have a "Mirror" or "Reverse" stamp. This is just plain rubber mounted onto a wood block. I'm sure you could find other surfaces to work with as well.
First I stamped a green chalk ink directly onto the rubber. Leaving room for more colors.

Next, rubbed a strip of masking tape into the brown chalk ink, then pressed that onto the rubber, adding more ink to the masking tape as needed. The use of the masking tape keeps your ink pads from being contaminated with other inks. Also gives a great texture.
Then used a different piece of masking tape with yellow chalk ink to add more color, making sure to leave some "white" space on the rubber.
Then stamped this assortment of inks onto matte paper (do not use on glossy or coated papers, the chalk inks will smear and may not dry). I cut the matte paper slightly larger than my stamp to create an easy white border. Heat set the ink.
Stamped an image an a saying with brown StazOn ink. And used this ink to color the edges of the matte paper.
You can see the colors and the distress look better, when I take this piece over to some natural light.
I ran some yellow textured card stock through a numbers Cuttlebug embossing folder and lightly inked it with the same brown chalk ink used earlier.
Attached the stamped piece to the embossed layer with black brads, and layered it all onto a dark brown card.
I did the next card using the same method with 3 different blue chalk inks. Inked the darkest blue directly on the plain stamp, then added the other two shades of blue with a piece of masking tape.
I then stamped this assortment of inks onto a piece of white matte paper, and then heat set.
I covered the card stock with a texture stamp using purple chalk ink. Stamped a quote and an image with black Versafine ink.
I was looking for some floral embellishments, and went to this fabulous collection of goodies I received from Kathi DiCarlo in a Fabulous Floral swap. She sent me two ATCs, made this fun floral box and FILLED it with a wonderful assortment of floral embellishments for me to use!!!
I used 3 of the flowers in the bottom left corner, colored a silver metal flower bead with copper alcohol ink and glued it to the image, and glued a copper metal butterfly to the upper right corner. This was adhered to a dark purple card.

1 comment:

CreativSpirit said...

Thanks for the great instructions on this technique Carol, I have Nancy's book and haven't tried some of these techniques, so I will give them a try now.

Rob