Saturday, January 12, 2013

Round Robin Journal Covers

I signed up for a Round Robin Journal Swap on Kindred Souls Art Group. We pick our own theme, size (between 6x6 - 10x10 or so). I decided on a theme of Inspirational Quotes Illustrated in a Shabby Chic style. I decided to make my journal covers out of fabric and lace and bits of stuff I have laying around. The main part is white satin over batting over cardboard. I printed out vintage photos and stamped on some words with silver StazOn metallic ink. Sewed on lots of lace
The pages inside the journal are 6x6 grungeboard pieces bound together with large rings. To hide the rings on the outside, I tied on lots of lovely fibers. For the front & back outside covers sewed on a layer of fine mesh fabric with micro beads in it. To the front, also added lots of various laces. Added a large metal butterfly piece with some light green beads sewn on, a door charm tied on with fibers and sewed a few beads near the bottom.
 I love that the door charm opens up! Added some background paper, a couple of butterfly images and some small rhinestones.
 On the inside covers, added some small ribbon loops for the rings to fit on, they are hidden under lace. For the front inside cover, added some Prima flowers, a key and lock charm, a vintage button and lots of little silver floral bits and colorful beads.
 For the back inside cover, added buttons and a fragment charm I'd made earlier.
 The outside back cover had a large lace doily in the center, with a dragonfly bead and vintage button in the center, some Prisma flowers, some ribbons with printed words, a extra bits of lace sewn own with small copper beads.
This was time consuming, but lots of fun. Love all the layers and that it is tactile!
Excited to see the pages the members create to add to my journal!!!

4 comments:

Lynn Stevens said...

Gorgeous Carol. Looks like were on the same page! You'll see when you get mine.
hugs Lynn

Elena said...

this is really horgeous!!!

Mary-Beth said...

omg, it's gorgeous Carol! Hope I do it justice!!!

chrissy said...

This is amazing Carol!!!
chrissy