Sunday, October 2, 2011

Book Study - Stencil

On NGS group we're doing a book study using Darlene Olivia McElroy & Sandra Duran Wilson's book "Surface Treatment workshop". We've looked at using stencils in a couple of the other book studies: Bernie's book and in Julia's book. But I was inspired with the information on using stencils as a surface treatment in Darlene & Sandra's book!!! I just played with 4 of their suggestions. (There is so much more info in the two pages of this section, I highly recommend this book.)
 A reminder, you can find many types of stencils on the market, metal, plastic, paper and you can make your own using die cuts or cutting your own.
Redux: Stencil on top of book pages or old art. I decided it would be fun to transform the paper I use under my creations (worksheet).
 
 I cut out an ATC sized piece from the worksheet and taped a tree stencil over the top. First I sponged on picket fence Distress Stain with a jumbo dauber, but decided it didn't coat the background enough. While the stain was still wet, sponged on snow cap acrylic paint using the same dauber. This gave covered the background better, while keeping some of the color of the picket fence Distress Stain (remember to clean your stencils immediately).
 I love how this looks! It will be a great background.
 Drama: Combine colors that pop. I used a Perfect Distress background I'd make earlier. I decided to use a black embossing paste (this not only added a color contrast, but a texture contrast as well), over a plastic clock stencil.
 I think this stencil & stencil paste added a lot of drama to this background!
 Bling: The authors suggest spraying glue adhesive through a paper stencil, then lay down metal leaf. I didn't have a paper stencil in dots, so did the following.  I lay down a metal dot stencil, twice as it wasn't large enough to cover my background (another piece of the worksheet used in the first example). And used a stencil dabber to sponge on acrylic foil adhesive. I didn't obtain an even coverage of the adhesive, but I'm not going for precise circles/dots, so it is ok with me. Let the adhesive dry until it is no longer shiny, but still tacky. I wasn't able to wash off the adhesive with water, but it came off easily with rubbing alcohol.
 When the adhesive is tacky, place a foil sheet over the background and rub over the foil, then lift off.
 The shiny bling doesn't show up well in this photo, but I really like how this background turned out!!!
 Enhance: After you have done your stencil, go back in with paint to enhance the design by outlining or embellishing.  I choose a different worksheet to cut to ATC size, stamped over it with a music score stamp and black StazOn ink. First sponged on a layer of snow cap acrylic paint, then yellow acrylic paint over a plastic bird stencil.
 Did the same thing with the bird wing and legs. Allow the paint to dry.
 I enhanced the stencil by outlining with a black permanent ink marker, then embellished the stencil by adding a couple of quotes with a thinner black permanent ink marker. Decided to finish this atc by sponging on some blue ink, coloring the edges with black Archival ink and adding black musical notes.
 I had lots of fun playing with stencil today.

5 comments:

Martina said...

This is very impressive!
Stunning artwork.

Annie said...

Great Ideas Carol, love the tree.

Lori Northon said...

I absolutely love the tree/forest stencil and the resulting background. Very effective! Where ever did you get the stencil?

Carol said...

The tree stencil is from Dreamweavers. I bought it at a local stamp store, but it can be found online.

Serra55 said...

Wow! Very nice results from the stencils. I'm inspired to try this one. I have a few stencils around here some where...

Thanks!