Sunday, June 27, 2010

Book Study - Radiant Batik

We are doing a book study of Julia Andrus' book "Paper Transformed" on the NGS group. This week we're looking at the section on Radiant Batik.
First stamp an image on card stock with embossing ink, sprinkle on clear embossing powder and heat set until glossy.
Then lightly mist the paper with water and crumple.
Then paint over the embossing with water based pigments like watercolors, dye inks or water based makers. Julia notes if using water based markers to spray the paper with water and then color.
Mix Perfect Pearls with water to form a creamy paint and brush on over the entire piece. I used Perfect Gold perfect pearls.
Wipe the paint off the embossing.
Place embossed piece between two pieces of newsprint or light weight paper, embossed side up and iron on a medium setting. The newsprint will absorb the embossing as it melts.
I'm wondering if this would have shown up better if I'd used a stamp with a bolder image.
I also tried this technique with blue water color paint and Perfect Bronze perfect pearls over a piece of sheet music. I think I might of used too much perfect pearls in my paste.

1 comment:

* Shell B.* said...

Hey Carol,
Your Batik came out beautiful! Tho I really love the musical sheet you did too.

Shell~Alaska