Thursday, March 1, 2012

L is for Layered Stamped Background

I saw that Rena used this technique in her "L" technique ATCs. Rena saw this technique on Hero Arts, Sharri Carroll gives a fabulous Youtube video on how to do it. I need to make a birthday card and thought this would be a fun technique to use.

First stamp a background text image on watercolor paper with VersaMark or embossing ink, cover with white embossing powder and heat set.
Press old paper Distress ink randomly on an acrylic block larger that your stamped image. Generously mist with water.
 Press the wet acrylic block over the embossed image. You can see how the ink spreads, I realize I didn't use enough water when I sprayed.
 I could have continued with it this way, but the nice thing about Distress Inks, are they will keep interacting with water until they are completely dry, which takes time.
 I re-inked the block, sprayed lots more water over it and re-pressed the acrylic block down.
 When you lift up the acrylic block and the ink is very wet along the edges you can use a paper towel to soak up that water/ink. Let ink dry. I like how this looks.
 Next use a fine line image stamp (I used a semi-fine flourish stamp) with light brown ink and stamp over the entire surface.
Press several colors of Distress Inks on to a craft sheet, leaving a little space between the inks. Press a large sold or bold image stamp into the inks, pick up and move it around a little to blend the colors slightly.
Spray water on the inked stamp. 
Press into the background. Leave the stamp on the paper, so more ink color is absorbed. I love the look of this, I will trim the piece down when I'm ready to use it.

No comments: