Thursday, March 1, 2012

ATC Inspired by Tim's March 2012 Tag

It's the first of March and Tim Holtz has given us the second tag in this year's 12 Tags of 2012. I love the paper mosaic technique he shows, and couldn't wait to give it a try.
Cut out a piece of grunge board large enough to cover the two mini butterfly dies, and cover one side with Wonder tape. I didn't have a sheet of tape, so used 1/2" wide tape and overlapped the edges. Then placing the tape side down on the dies, cutting out the butterfly shapes.
 Tim used is mini designed papers for the mosaic pieces. I decided to use scraps of various backgrounds I've made.
 Cut the paper into tiny pieces and place on the wonder tape, make sure to leave space between the paper pieces.
Tim used antiquities cement embossing powder (ep) between the paper pieces, it's really cool, and looks like grout after it's been heat set. I don't have that, so I decided to go with a gold metallic gold grout look. I used some divine gold ep that was sent to me from Trizzy in Australia. I don't know what brand it is. Tim says after pouring the ep over the butterfly shape, place paper over the ep and press down to work the ep into the exposed areas between the paper pieces. Then heat set and let the ep cool.
 Cover the paper only with Glossy Accents and let it dry.
 Then color the edges with walnut stain Distress ink. These look fabulous!
 I decided to use one of the crackle paste backgrounds I made earlier. Lightly sprayed heirloom gold Perfect Pearls over it.
 Colored the edges and the raised areas with walnut stain Distress ink.
 Colored a piece of damp trimmings with peeled paint Distress Ink. Stamped a saying with black Archival Ink.
 Attached the trimmings and butterflies. Added metal flowers with brads.

7 comments:

sara j said...

Love your tag...the colors in the butterflies and the background. What a cool technique, huh?

Jocelyn said...

Carol.. came out nice. Love the background. Reminds me of sponge cake. I decided to jump in the 12 tags and do ATCs as well. I was inspired by the ones you showed us Wednesday night. Susie

Manu said...

Love it: as soon as I've seen your butterflies the captured me!!!
They are gorgeous: Tim opens our mind and let us giving the best of creativity.
Hugs from Italy

Maria said...

This is just gorgeous - and I love how you applied Tim's techniques to an ATC! Well done!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Don't know which I love more, your colorful butterflies or that fabulous background! Is there a tutorial to make that? TIA

Carol said...

I think I've fixed the link for the crackle paste background on the post. But just in case, here it is:
http://carol-creative-expressions.blogspot.com/2011/12/book-study-crackle-paste.html

Unknown said...

Oh, this is just lovely! Wonderful butterflies; the background reminds me of an awesome faux tuscan-inspired wall we created for my friend's dining room a few years back. So inspiring...Thanks for sharing.