Monday, October 8, 2007

Textured Gesso ATC

On the Next-Generation-Stampers Group, Trish Bee challenged us to create with gesso and to create with autumn colors. Check out what she has done with the gesso challenge and some other gesso instructions on her technique zone. I was first introduced to textured gesso by Adrienne, she shows some beautiful textured gesso on her site.
I decided to combine the gesso & autumn color challenges with a Nature ATC swap I want to participate in.
I sprayed card stock with Butterscotch Adirondack Color Wash and then slabbed on gesso, swirling it around to pick up some of the color wash.. While it was still wet, I sprayed on more Butterscotch, then I covered a solid leaf stamp with Versamark and pressed the stamp into the thick wet gesso. I left the stamp in for about 30 seconds. I made sure to clean off the stamp right away, so the gesso wouldn't dry on the stamp. Then I left the gesso to dry and went to work on another project.



After the gesso dried, I rubbed Lumiere's metallic bronze paint over the surface with my finger, and then wiped it off of the top layer with a "wet one".




Next, I stamped a skeleton leaf image over the surface with Lumiere's metallic russet paint and let it dry.





To finish the card, I stamped "Scatter Joy" on the bottom, edged the card with bronze ink, and added leaf punch outs and a small acorn charm. This was all mounted on dark green card stock.





Here is directions for how I made the leaf punch outs. Cut out a piece from a paper grocery sack, get it damp and wrinkle it up. Open and let dry. Paint the surface with yellow, red and green acrylic paints and sponge on gold metallic acrylic paint and let dry. Then I used a leaf punch to get the punch outs. This is a fun technique and is also good for backgrounds.

2 comments:

Manna said...

Textured Gesso? Wonderful ATC! I need to more time to play! ~ Manna

Trish Bee said...

Drop dead GORGEOUS! I hope I get one of yours!!!