Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Double Resist

When I was working on Sheryl's deco, I saw a gorgeous page down by Autumn. I asked how she did it and she placed the info here on her blog! I loved how she did a double resist with the faux batik resist. I wanted to play with that technique. I started with this paper bag my lost paper purchase was packaged in. It has a fun "batik" look to it. I'm making ATC's for a 6:5 swap on ccswaps with the theme "Resist". I wanted the backgrounds to have both design elements from the bag on the diagonal. Since this required "fussy cutting", I cut out a template from a thick vellum scrap. This way I could see exactly where I wanted to cut.

I stamped some thick flourishes onto the paper with a clear embossing pad and covered with clear embossing powder and heat set. With this thinner paper, the embossing powder soaks all the way through the paper (seen on the paper on the right). This is much like what is done with wax and fabric to create the resist in batiking.

I covered the paper with blue Distress ink and dried the ink with a heat tool. Now for the second layer of resist. I stamped the same flourish stamp slightly off the original stamping with a clear embossing pad and covered with clear embossing powder.

Then I heat set it with a heat tool. I also heated the embossing from the back side of the paper to ensure the powder soaked through the paper.

I covered the paper with a darker blue Distress ink.

I laid a sheet of paper towel on a craft sheet, placed the paper with the embossing side down and ironed. The embossing powder is absorbed into the paper towel. Moved the paper around and continued to iron until most of the embossing powder is removed.

I ran the paper through a swirl Cuttlebug embossing folder. I cut an 1-1-/2" square sheet from the same paper bag. Ran this small square through the same embossing folder and colored the raised areas with the lighter blue Distress ink. I used a gold leafing pad to color the edges.

I trimmed down the "resist" paper and layered it on gold colored card stock. Layered on the smaller square a shell embellishment with some fibers attached.

4 comments:

Manna said...

This is seriously amazing stuff here!

Brenda said...

This turned out great - I love it - thanks for the link.

Susie said...

These are gorgeous Carol. I love all the textures you've created and what a great way to use a paper bag that was simply too pretty to throw away!

Anonymous said...

Carol,
I just bookmarked your blog !

All the examples on your previous posts are stunning !!!
I really like them piece by piece. I copied the instructions to try it myself !

I just signed in for the ATC SWAP resist, but seeing this... hope I can get up to your standards !!

Thanks for sharing your creations: it always feels good that people share their knowledge and creativity !