Sunday, November 9, 2008

Baby Wipe Covers

When I was at the Raven's Nest Art retreat, my friend Maggi told me she saves and uses used paper towels and baby wipes in her art projects. I had saved some baby wipes that I used to clean my brushes after painting with acrylic paints.
Autumn sent me this bottle of Color Mist spray and waste sequin sheet, along with some other fun goodies. I laid the sheet over the wipe and sprayed with the Color Mist.
I added some stamped flourishes with Lumiere paint. I needed to use a lot of paint on the stamp, as the baby wipe is very absorbent.
Stamped on another image with black Versafine ink.
I cut the wipe in half and adhered it to a piece of cardboard cut 3-1/4" x 4-3/4" with two layers of double sided carpet tape. I like the thickness I get with carpet tape. I didn't take the tape all the way to the end of the cardboard. This end needs to go into the Bind-it -All and two layers of carpet tape is too thick to fit into the machine.
I decided to add a little more color and glimmer, so sprayed the outside covers with Radiant Rain spray.
I sprayed the Color Mist over pre-cut Grungeboard letters. I ran some of the extra spray around the edges of the sign in pages, which had traveled around with the blank pages. These will be used for the inside covers.
I placed the sprayed Grungeboard letters into three different Cuttlebug embossing folders. I love how I can see where the embossing will appear on the pieces before I run them through the Cuttlebug.
I ran black StazOn ink over the raised images on the Grungeboard letters.
Finished front cover, I used the backing from the Zyron paper left over from a butterfly made on another project. Adhered the letters with red lined tape.
Inside front cover: I added an image printed on a transparency and cut out.
Inside back cover: I found an image printed on a transparency that allowed the underlying signatures to show through.
Outside back cover. I like the look of these used baby wipe covers, almost looks and feels like fabric.

2 comments:

chrissy said...

Thanks for the tutuorial on how you did your covers. Maybe you should run a class at next years Raevn's Nest Retreat. Which, by the way is set for Oct 22 through the 25th!!
Chrissy

CreativSpirit said...

Great photos Carol, love what you've done with the Baby wipes, very arty.

Rob