Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I is for Ink Jet Image Transfer

 I decided to give this technique a try, I have not had any luck with ink jet image transfers. I've heard great things about this method.
Choose an image (I picked a photo I took of a door in a warehouse) and print on the rough side of a transparency sheet for ink jet printers. It was also recommended when using light weight paper to coat the paper with gel medium and let it dry.
Next spread an even layer of gel medium over the rough (inked) side of the transparency sheet and let set for a moment.
 Place gel side down on the paper and lightly brayer or use a bone folder to press the image down on your paper. Let sit for 2 to 5 minutes. Lift one corner to see if you need to apply more pressure.
 I tried this multiple times using more and less gel medium and this was the best image transfer I was able to do. not very good. No matter how much gel I used, I could not get the majority of the ink off the transparency. I wonder if it's the type of printer and ink I have????
This might be one of those techniques I need to do with someone who has more experience and success than me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried this once myself - can't say I was that impressed with my results either :O( I used an Epson inkjet printer. I now only bother with laser printer gel transfers - so crisp and wonderful. Thumbs up for posting your results - you are not alone :O)