Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Grungy Butterflies

Signed up for a Butterfly swap on DreamCreateInspire. The only requirement was to make freestanding butterflies between 3 - 6". We could specify a color, one person requested purple, but the others were open to any color. I wanted to make butterflies that were grungy, so I grabbed my pile of previously made paste papers and a butterfly die from Sizzix.
To add iridescence to the inner wings on the front, I made strips of fantasy film using the technique I learned from Debbie last month. Instead of adhering the strips to red line tape, I adhered it to a sticker sheet, as I didn't want the paste paper to show through this part. The skeleton part of the inner wings were cut out of contrasting or complimenting paste paper and layered over the fantasy film strips.
Used more paste paper to make the butterfly bodies. Rubbed glitter glue along parts of the outer wings and bodies. Glued on rhinestones. Here are the fronts:
Wanted a different look of the back side of the butterflies. Glued two pieces of iridescent gift wrap together with pva glue (Elmer's), then ran through a Cuttlebug texture embossing folder to give it some depth, then cut the skeleton part of the inner butterfly wings out of this paper. Then laid the skeleton part inside two pieces of colored Fantasy Film and heat set, then cut out inner wings shape and ran these pieces through the same textured Cuttlebug embossing folder.These were glued on to the back of the butterflies (and more rhinestones and glitter glue added as on the front). With the added texture to the fantasy film, it really changes color with the light even with the slightest of movements. Hope to get these in the mail this week and off to the recipients.

1 comment:

Rena Sawatski said...

oooh! they are so pretty. Love the colours on them and looking forward to receiving mine!!