Saturday, April 11, 2009

Book Study: Shaving Cream Backgrounds

We're doing a Book Study as a group on NGS, using Nancy Curry's book "Texture Effects for Rubber Stamping". This week we are looking at her cards "Joyful Noise" & " Scatter Joy". She uses Shaving Cream Backgrounds in these cards. I really, really, really recommend you get her book and see the cards she makes and all the great tips she shares. She gives great instructions with better tools than what I had at hand today.
I sprayed some shaving cream (use the foam not the gel type) on a small paper plate and flattened it a bit with a craft stick.
Dropped some re-inkers (I choose yellow, orange and metallic bronze) and swirled them with the craft stick. I liked Nancy's idea of taking smaller pieces of card stock and creating a border around the edges with torn masking tape.
Dipped the card stock into the shaving cream and lift off.
I used a craft stick to wipe off the shaving cream and later a tissue to get the rest off.
Here are the three pieces after removing the tape.
I had lots of shaving cream left over so I dipped a larger piece of paper into the shaving cream, I moved it around to cover the surface, and lifted it off.
Here's how it looks after scrapping off the excess:
Then I decided to drop the shaving cream over another piece of paper to cover the surface.

Even though the shaving cream looks over mixed and "blah", remember that there are still streaks of dye ink in the shaving cream. Here's how it looked after scrapping off the excess:
Decided to trim the edges down on the three squares I made. Colored the edges with Brilliance ink.
Stamped some words with black Versafine ink on the squares. Layered them over strips of metallic paper on a rust colored card. Added an image printed on a transparency sheet.

4 comments:

CreativSpirit said...

Lovely Carol, your colour combination here is great. I must get my book out and re-visit some of these lovely techniques. Thanks again for sharing your experiments.

chrissy said...

Oh, I like those reinker colors you used!!! Great job Carol.
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

What a beautifull card! I think shaving cream backgrounds are so much fun to make. Very good idea taping off the edges.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Carol, love this and have always wanted to do it, maybe I will give it a whirl this week x