Saturday, July 2, 2011

Distressed Gesso again

I need a "D" technique background for an upcoming swap and love the look of Distressed Gesso, so thought I'd give it a go again. Before starting and to add a little "extra" to my background, started by stamping diamonds to the buff colored paper with brown StazOn ink.
Used a sea sponge to add some gesso to a few areas of the paper. Since I used a light application of gesso, I speeded up the drying with a heat tool really quickly.
Applied yellow Distress Ink with the Direct to Paper (dtp) method.
Added more gesso with the sea sponge overlapping some areas and leaving others with no gesso. Used heat tool to dry gesso and colored with wild honey Distress Ink dtp.
For the final layer, used watered down gesso and covered large areas with the sea sponge. Dried the gesso with the heat tool again.
Colored with dried marmalade Distress Ink. I like how textured this looks.
There are many different ways to do this technique: how much gesso you use, how you apply the gesso, what colors ink you choose, etc.

No comments: