Sunday, July 3, 2011

Book Study - Alcohol Ink Agate On Grunge

On NGS group, we're doing a study of Tim Holtz's book "A Compendium of Curiosities", this week's section is Alcohol Ink Agate On Grunge. Start with painting the surface of grunge with acrylic paint and let it dry. (Tim said to use Pearl, but I didn't have that color, so I used Snow Cap White). The purpose of the paint, is so the alcohol ink doesn't absorb into the grunge, but will "float" on the surface.
Apply several colors of Alcohol Ink onto felt along with a drop of Mixative (I choose gold) and stamp the ink over the painted grunge.
Apply some Blending Solution onto the felt and stamp over the background to blend and move the colors. Let dry.
Stamp on image with Archival Ink and heat to dry with a heat tool.
The colors I got, didn't seem as intense as in Tim's book. I wasn't sure if it was more fair photography skills, or if it was the choice of paint in the first step. I repeated the process starting with painting the grunge with Silver acrylic paint (I still don't have Pearl acrylic paint). In the photo below, the one with the white paint is on the left and the one on the right was done with silver paint. There is a difference, choose what look you prefer.Tim says this technique can be done on any surface from fabric to wood.

7 comments:

CreativSpirit said...

I especially love the one with the silver background. I do have some white pearl paint, so will try that too.
I am going to a friends place on Wednesday who hasn't used Alcohol Inks before, so I will try this out at her place. Thanks so much Carol, I really enjoy seeing what you are doing.

Marliese said...

I liked them both, but prefer the one with the white paint.

Daphne said...

Thanks so much for all that you do to give us some inspiration...wonderful work.

KarenMC said...

I like the white paint.

KarenMC said...

I like the white.

CreativSpirit said...

Carol, I tried both the silver and white painted card today and my results didn't come out nearly as nice as yours so am planning on giving it another try tomorrow. Thanks again.

pcrusberg said...

Nice tutorial. I saw this on Pinterest.