Monday, April 25, 2011

Textured Paint (a work in progress)

I want to make covers for a book to hold pocket protector sheets full of ATCs. A project for me, a great time to experiment. I've been looking at some of the techniques in Claudine Hellmuth's book "Collage discovery workshop". Today, I played with the Textured Paint technique. Claudine says that acrylic paint is more flexible than spackle and has less risk of cracking, great for a book cover.
First spread white acrylic paint and spread over canvas. I'm using canvas sheets that I'll layer onto cardboard later.
Create texture while the paint is still wet. One method of making texture in the paint, is by stamping bold stamps into the paint and lifting off. Make sure to wash of the acrylic paint before the paint dries on the stamp.
Another method of making texture in paint is to use a paint combing tool.
And another method of creating texture in the paint is to draw or write in the paint with a pen. Next, wait for the paint to dry completely.
Then paint the textured surface with acrylic paint colors of your choice. Create washes if desired. Wipe off excess paint with a towel. I like how the raised areas are now white. I painted over the exposed word with more q. nickel axo gold.
Made the one for the back cover similarly. It's a bit sloppy, but I'm planning on adding papers to cover up the edges.
Hope to have more time tomorrow to continue with this project.

No comments: