Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Study - Glass Like Resin

We are studying Bernie Berlin's book "Artist Trading Card Workshop" in the NGS group, this week it is the section "Glass-Like Resin". I will show you all the steps, but my experiments did not turn out.
To color the background, dry brush on a couple of colors of acrylic paint.
Cover the entire surface with clear embossing ink an sprinkle Embossing Enamel over the surface and heat set.
Repeat with inking the surface with clear embossing ink, covering with embossing enamel and heat setting.
While the embossing enamel is still warm, press an inked stamp onto the surface until it cools, about a minute.
The samples in Bernie's book are wonderful. As you can see, the enamel did not stick to my card base. I also tried with three layers of enamel, and all the layers of enamel came off the card base.
I would love to hear some tips and suggestions on how to make this technique work.

6 comments:

Scrapbookdoll said...

I think you can doe this wit utee from ranger same technique.

Chris in Oz said...

Hi Sweetie,

What about trying a pigment ink instead of the Stazon. I've done something similar with coloured Opals, I used Silver Encore and it work great. Maybe the Stazon dried too quickly.

HTH.

Hugz......

chrissy said...

I don't know what to tell you because I tried this too, some time ago, and I couldn't get successful results either.
Chrissy

Hilda said...

I was taught to only use embossing ink for the first layer of powder - apply subsequent layers to the hot surface, whilst the base layers are still molten, so you are building up one thick layer, not several thin ones. I usually ink my stamp with a pigment ink to stamp into the warm layers, and leave to cool before removing. Hope this helps

artymarty said...

Hi Carol, I have two suggestions. One you have already heard and that it to try pigment ink such as brilliance or encore. The girls who make opals powder use those inks. Also perhaps try a sturdy substrate such as mat board.
Interested to know how you go

Brenda said...

You can ink your stamp first with clear embossingink, then with stazon.
Heat the embossingpowder and stamp into your project. Let it cool off. The first layer of clear ink makes it easy to remove the stamp.