Thursday, November 4, 2010

Book Study - Magazine Paper

On NGS group we are studying Bernie Berlin's book "Artist Trading Card Workshop". This week is her section on "Magazine Paper". This technique uses old magazines and catalogs to create art, by cutting up the images and by painting and writing over them, creating something very different from what they originally were. Bernie has two great examples in her book that she made and a dozen others by contributing artists. I'm not sure I changed the bits that much, but it was a creative exercise that I would try again
I don't get many magazines, so I cut up a travel brochure.
Layered sections of the magazine paper to cover the card, adhering the pieces with gel medium. I used an orange gel pen to highlight some of the ribbons on the twirling skirt. Darkened the edges of the card with dark Distress ink.
Stamped very lightly some wavy lines below and on the skirt.

No comments: