Friday, August 7, 2009

Book Study: Water Colors on Glossy

We're doing a Book Study as a group on NGS, using Nancy Curry's book "Textured Effects for Rubber Stamping". This week we are looking at her project "Piano Hinge Tag Book". If anyone is interested in how to make the booklet, read the how to in Nancy's book. I liked how she decorated the cover using watercolors splattered on a slick surface and then picking up the colors with glossy card stock.
First, I tried this technique using regular water colors. Moistened three colors with water, picked up with a foam brush and dabbed onto a waxy sheet (the paper left over after using a xyron adhesive machine). I placed a piece of glossy card stock, glossy side down, on to the wet colors and lifted the sheet up. There was still some color on the waxy sheet, so I sprayed it with water and laid down a second sheet of glossy card stock.
Decided to lay the second sheet on top of the first to lighten the color on the first and darken the colors on the second one. I used a heat tool to speed up the drying.Trimmed down the paper and stamped on some of Tim Holtz's ATC background stamps over the backgrounds with black Archival ink. Added the word "celebrate" and extra stamping to expand the border. Stamped a flourish with dark orange Distress ink on a pick card. Colored some of the design with markers, added a crown brad and a few mini rhinestones:

Stamped large circles with messages in pink and orange Distress inks over yellow card stock. Added colorful brads to the stamped image and a circle message:

For the next set, used Dr Ph Martins Iridescent Colors. Added a couple of drops of each color to a foam brush and dabbed on to a waxy sheet. After placing one piece of glossy card stock down on the colors and lifting up, I sprayed the remaining colors with water and added some purple to the sheet and laid down a second sheet of glossy card stock to pick up more color.
Here are the two sheets I created. After these dried, stamped two other Tim Holtz Background ATC stamps onto two pieces of the backgrounds. I first stamped them with a color of Distress ink (blue on the left, lavender on the right) then over stamped with black Archival ink. Stamped floral design with green Distress ink and a flourish very faintly with lavender Distress ink on a sparkly light green card. Layered the main image on to silver metallic paper. Added some light green glitter to some of the flower centers and tied on a metal tag with light green ribbon:
Added a quote on vellum to the stamped image and a small rhinestone for the bird's eye. Ran yellow card stock through a Cuttlebug folder and colored the raised areas with yellow dye ink. Dye cut out the vines from the same dark blue card stock as the card base.

1 comment:

Maggi said...

Looks like wonderful, messy fun!!!!