Friday, June 26, 2009

Book Study: "Chasing Diamonds"

We're doing a Book Study as a group on NGS, using Nancy Curry's book "Texture Effects for Rubber Stamping". This week we are looking at her project "Chasing Diamonds".
Nancy shows a fabulous technique using black permanent ink on a solid diamond stamp and adding various stamped images with glazed white acrylic paint. You must check it out in her book. She also has two variations in color using pears, outstanding.
Not having the glazed white acrylic paint or the same diamond stamp, I determined to come up with something similar using what I had. I had recently acquired some fabulous ATC background stamps by Tim Holtz, that I wanted to use, decided to use them in this project. I have a large stamp of solid diamonds in a row. I stamped the background stamps with black Archival ink and stamped them directly on to the row of diamonds, deliberately overlapping some of the images. This was then stamped on to white coated card stock and heat set.
I then inked up the row of diamonds stamp in the same black Archival Ink and stamped onto the white coated card stock, heat set. Then cut out the diamond shapes.
Randomly stamped flourishes along the edges of a white card with black Archival Ink.
Choose four of the patterned diamonds and three of the solid ones to form a pattern on blank white card stock. Layered onto black paper and then on to my stamped card.

Pretty cool technique. Hope to try this with some of the other solid stamps I own.

No comments: